Safe Driver Recognition Changes Effective October 12 2016
September 28, 2016
This October SGI will be making a few changes to the Safe Driver Recognition program.
You start in a neutral position on the scale and begin to gain or lose points based on your driving habits. Your position on the scale is based on your driving record.
- In neutral on the scale, you'll receive neither a discount nor a surcharge and will pay the base insurance premium.
- You gain points for a good driving record, which moves you towards or into the scale's Safety Zone. Each point in the Safety Zone gives you a discount off your vehicle plate insurance, to a maximum of 25%.
- You lose points for certain driving incidents, such as an at-fault collision or a traffic conviction, which moves you towards or into the Penalty Zone.
- Once you're in the Penalty Zone, you will pay a financial penalty for each incident you are responsible for as follows:
- prior to Oct. 12, 2016, the financial penalty is $25 for each point you lose in the Penalty Zone (capped at a maximum penalty of $500).
- on or after Oct. 12, 2016, the financial penalty is $50 for each point you lose in the Penalty Zone (capped at a maximum penalty of $1,000).
Note: Your position on the Safety Rating Scale is based on your driving record. If someone else is driving your vehicle and is at fault for a collision, it does not affect your position on the scale.